Boise (670 KBOI News) – The City of Boise is busy putting together its budget proposal for Fiscal Year 2020, and the number may come as a surprise to many…over 3/4 of a billion dollars.
The Idaho Statesman is reporting the $765,000,000 proposal is a 1.58% increase over this year.
The biggest single section of the budget is for public safety — police and fire — at 56.4% of the proposed budget. The city wants to hire six new officers, a new prosecutor, an emergency preparedness coordinator and some IT personnel.
It also includes a raise for City employees, totaling 5%.
Here’s how the $765 million proposal compares to similarly sized cities across the nation (Boise population, appx 229K):
- Spokane, Washington (pop. 219K) – FY 2020, $974 million
- Fremont, California (pop. 237K) – FY 2020, $545 million
- Hialeah, Florida – (pop. 239K) FY 2019, $321 million
- Irving Texas – (opo. 242K) FY 2019, $234 million
- Garland, Texas – (opo. 242K) FY 2019, $178 million
670 KBOI News has reached out to the City for comment, but have not yet heard back.
— Jay Howell, 670 KBOI News